To read Elizabeth’s words is to understand the relationship between the lyric and music of a great song. Her passion to tell the Big Story of redeeming love through the everyday events and the oftentimes crises of life reveals the melody of God’s grace and the beauty of his truth. Some people write a book because they want to be understood. Elizabeth writes so others will dance. (About Living Story: A Short Guide to Christian Storytelling)
Scotty Smith, Pastor for Preaching, Teaching, and Worship, Christ Community Church, Franklin, TN
“Elizabeth’s story retreat was a spark that began a wider exploration of God at work in our individual stories and in the community of our church that has taken us down a wild and beautiful path of redemption!”
Caroline, Ministry Leader, Physician’s Assistant, Atlanta, Ga
The Living Story Retreat was a paradigm-shifting time, providing “big-theme” glasses in which to view the Scriptures afresh and my life anew. All I see now is God’s story, God’s story, God’s story! And I’m compelled to make daily, evenly hourly connections to my story and ask the question, “Where does my story tuck into His story today?”
Anne H., Ministry Director, Atlanta, Ga.
“Elizabeth knows what it means that people are created in the image of God, and yet she also sees the depths of human depravity and sin. If you go to one of her retreats you can expect to hear from someone who experientially understands what it means to be caught up in a bigger story–where Evil seeks to destroy that which God is making beautiful. Elizabeth will speak to both your head and your heart–helping you see how you have been uniquely created to reflect and represent God in your part of the world. She’s very good at taking things from the conceptual and theoretical level to the practical day to day level so that you can “take home” what you learn at the retreat. She knows the Bible, she knows the human heart, and she knows the God who lives in both.”
Adam Young, Pastor, Atlanta, Ga
“Elizabeth’s approach to teaching the gospel has helped me to view my life through a wider angle lens. Elizabeth models a transcendent curiosity by leaning into what God is doing in our lives and helping us to see how we can participate with God in writing a life story that brings Him glory. Her heart and passion for sharing God’s word are infectious and inspire you to live an exciting life in which you are a co-author with Christ.”
Hope Parker, Children’s Ministry Director, Maple Valley, WA
Why should you host a Living Story retreat? Listen to what some recent attendees said:
What did you learn about yourself?
- I need to live in hope, not fear.
- It made me look deeply at myself and find redemption in my own story.
- I like and need to spend more time with women sharing my life.
- How important each story of my life is and what an integral part of the Christian life it is to share our stories with each other.
- How God has provided rescue for me in the past and how this builds my faith for the future.
- Exposed pride, allowed me to connect some dots with my fear of failure and idols of achievement.
What did you learn about your community?
- They are precious! They walk with God through life, in ways I didn’t know.
- We are truly a community of grace! We are honest and not wanting to hide but come out and be healed and restored!
- We all need each other – in the good and the bad – to rejoice and cry with.
- Everyone is dealing with something.
- They are trustworthy. They are vulnerable. They are not as perfect as they seem. There is nothing more beautiful than sharing our lives together.
- Our stories bring us closer to one another and to God.
What will you tell others?
- I appreciate Elizabeth’s “realness”…her willingness to be one of the group and lead at the same time.
- I loved her search of Scripture and her insight into God’s Word.
- Her leadership and flexibility made this a safe, comfortable environment. Her comments and insights into stories were given with discernment and grace.
- She is structured, which is great, but flexible, which is necessary.
What will you tell others about this retreat?
- It’s important to be with one another like this – so you can know and be known in community.
- It’s a tool for learning and living in real community!
- Life-changing, affirming, freeing us as we told our stories and saw God in one another.
- It is a holy time. An experience of the community of Christ.
- It will be a life-changing experience for each person involved.